Minutes BWS Upgrade: Electro-Mechanical Design Meeting #10 -- 21th April 2016 --

Participants: Raymond Veness, Bernd Dehning, Federico Roncarolo, Jonathan Emery, William Andreazza, Dmitri Gudkov, Jose Luis Sirvent

Agenda ( https://indico.cern.ch/event/522821/ )

PDF Version             Bernds_Notes

1. Communications

  • Review last meeting (17/03):
    • Jonathan presented the electronics status and the schedule for next year.
    • Ray show a general presentation on the PSB scanner. 6 weeks scheduled BWS testing (Vacuum, RF...)
  • Follow Up meeting (22/03):
    • Motor controller and "Intelligent Drive prototype" physically shown.
    • Some investigations are required to check in which direction to go with "Intelligent drive".
    • Decission to take on:
      • Usage and adaptation of VFC board for this pourpose
      • Design of a custom and project specific board.
      • Report on brief summary to help in decission.
  • News:
    • Cost estimate for all production, installation and all equipment required.
    • ML will present in August.
    • PS installation to be done in 2017/18, cell 54.

2. Open Actions Check-list (B.Dehning)

  • Feedthrough for RF antenna: (DONE)
    • Offer received and in contact with company that will provide Feedthrough (Dmitry)
    • Discussion with Fritz, and feedtrough accepted. (Dmitry)
    • This feedtrough comes from a request from a RF Meeting 6 monts ago (Raymond)
    • RF simulations are not foreseen, in some cases are not as reliable as spected (Raymond)
    • Reason: This antenna will rick-up RF to avoid wire breackage due to RF heating.
    • Is there any measurement on the wire heating for the new BWS in parking position? (Federico)
      • There is a measurement of the current induced on the wire due to the beam crossing. (Jonathan)
      • Also the wire resistivity is measured.(Jonathan)
      • However these measurements are triggered by a movement(Jonathan)
      • There is no gating on the system measurements since there is memory enough, our dedicated system could allow us to add some more functionalities.
  • Viewport Drawing Check: (DONE)
    • Drawing is finally OK.
    • Nicolas assured that to be mounted on this configuration is not a problem.
  • ECR for PSB (Ongoing):
    • Discussed with vacuum group.
    • Preliminary designs approved.
    • Discussion on SEM grid placement and why usage of the same ring (#3) for both equipments (Federico):
      • BWS placed upstreams SEM grid.
      • Intervention splitted on 3 phases (William)
      • The idea is to touch always same pipe (William)
      • Remark on spacing for Scintillator system (Needed to foresee space for this)
      • If SEM grid and BWS are swamped maybe there'd be more space for Scintillators.
  • Wire fixation on fork (Defined):
    • Fixation system defined and presented on BI day by Dmitry ( see here)
  • Needed to check AL reflectivity loss with time, oxidation (still unclear)
  • Motors testing (Ongoing):
    • Aim: Confirm specifications and check if they still fit for our system with the custom rotor.
    • Started some preliminary testing.
    • Some tuning required on the controller system.
    • New rotors will be ready May-June.
    • Jonathan requires to work 100% on this during at least 1 day.
  • Disk vibrations simulations (To be done)

3. Mechanics: Status Update (D.Gudkov)

  • Vacuum Compatible Rotor (Alxion) tests:
    • Bake-out at 235degrees.
    • Outgassing is OK.
  • Motor orders:
    • 3 Vac. Compatible motors ordered and waiting for approval.
  • Metallic encoder disks samples:
    • Two samples ordered
    • Surface diamond machined
    • Two possible laser engravement (Lasertec and Dundee Univeristy)
    • Dundee University sample available next week.
    • Jose will test both samples same day (next week).
  • Real size encoder disk:
    • Tooling for testing it on test-bench is being produced.
    • Production in end of May.
    • Material received in April.
  • Production status:
    • Production started: 3 machines + 2 tanks.
    • Drawings approved and cost estimate 75 kCHF (not including raw materials)
    • Big viewport included for inspection.
    • PSB mounting tooling almost done.
    • Support "table" for PSB prototype already prepared.
    • Mock-up model will be built on laboratory for mountint/dismountint training.
  • Special pieces for motor / resolver and encoder systems needed to be ready on August ( Place orders ASAP!! )
    • Foreseee orders for 3 PSB machines
  • Integration Study:
    • Nicolas Chritin will be involved on this for PS and SPS.
    • Required BC for starting the job
    • Good to start with PS (Raymond)

4. AOB

  • Calibration Benches
    • Aurelie will be strongly involved on the Optics review and re-design if required.
    • Calibration benches needed:
      • Calibration bench #1 SPS proto:
        • To be placed on 867, mounted on SPS BWS. Mechanics already on the lab.
        • Operational calibrations
      • Calibration bench #2 SPS Squared frame:
        • To be placed on 865 Laboratory, mounted on table with some reference point with respect to squared frame.
        • Gain experience and testing pourposes
      • Calibration bench #3 PSB proto:
        • To check if possible to reuse any of the previous or do a custom design (William).
  • Functional specifications for PSB are required to be communicated to Jonathan and Jose.
    • This is essential to schedule BWS functionalities and acquisition system considerations.
    • Memory scaling and FPGA programming of both systems need to be adapted to these specs.
  • Cabling and Installation infraestructure:
    • The installation of a Rack for fibre optics needs to be taken into account for integration (Jonathan)
    • The distance of the Rack with respect to the PSB BWS Machines is not critical (few meters are not a problem)
    • Cabling for PSB location already prepared by Jonathan.
      • Jose would like to check see if some cable for acquisition system proto are missing.
      • No Multimode fibres on PSB locations.

5. Actions

ResponsibleSorted ascending Actions
Bernd
  • PS wire scanner code to Dmitry.
  • Check losses situation on ring #2.
  • Send Functional specifications to Jonathan, Dmitry and Jose.
Dmitry
  • Presentation on installation tooling
  • ECR progress
  • Check AL oxidation and reflectivity with time
  • Fork design update (wire fixation?)
  • Larger hole from opposite side foreseen. Check drawings.
Jonathan
  • Check SPS scanner wire temperature (current or resistance) measurements posibility on parking position without scanning.
  • Provide motor tests results (when tested)
Jose
  • Test both metallic disk samples with laser engravement (once both samples are available)
  • Study interferometry problem, check possible solutions with few modifications.
William
  • Check SPS calibration bench size to be re-used with the PSB tank
Topic attachments
I Attachment History Action Size Date Who Comment
PDFpdf 2016_04_21_Bernds_Notes.pdf r1 manage 126.9 K 2016-04-22 - 11:49 UnknownUser  
PDFpdf 2016_04_21_Meeting_Minutes.pdf r1 manage 166.9 K 2016-04-22 - 11:53 UnknownUser  
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2016-04-22 - unknown
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    BWSUpgrade All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright & 2008-2022 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
or Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? use Discourse or Send feedback