WLCG-OSG-EGEE Ops' Minutes Wed 27 Aug 2008

Summary

Nothing noteworthy to report, other than a reminder to sites from LHCb that the shared area is a critical service.

Attendance

EGEE

  • Asia Pacific ROC: Min Tsai
  • Central Europe ROC: Malgorzata Krakowian
  • OCC / CERN ROC: Antonio Retico, Nick Thackray, Maria Dimou, John Shade, Diana Bosio
  • French ROC: Pierre ?
  • German/Swiss ROC: Angela Poschlad
  • Italian ROC: Paolo Veronesi
  • Northern Europe ROC: Gert Svensson, Mattias Wadenstein
  • Russian ROC: Victor Edneral, Lev Shamardin
  • South East Europe ROC: Kostas Koumantaros
  • South West Europe ROC: Kai Neuffer
  • UK/Ireland ROC: Absent
  • GGUS: Torsten Antoni

WLCG

  • WLCG Service Cordination: Harry Renshall

WLCG Tier 1 Sites

  • ASGC: Min Tsai
  • BNL: Absent
  • CERN site: Miguel Marques
  • FNAL: Catalin Dumilescu
  • FZK: Angela Poschlad
  • IN2P3: Pierre
  • INFN: Paolo Veronesi
  • NDGF: Jens Larsson
  • PIC: Kai
  • RAL: Absent
  • SARA/NIKHEF: Absent
  • TRIUMF: Absent

LHC Experiments

  • ATLAS: Alessandro di Girolamo
  • LHCb: Roberto Santinelli
  • CMS: Daniele Bonacorsi
  • ALICE: absent

Meeting got underway five minutes late due to Nick and his problematic laptop.

Feedback on Last Week's Minutes

None was given.

EGEE Items

Grid Operator Hand Over on Duty

  Primary Team Secondary Team
From ROC DECH ROC CERN
To ROC Russia ROC Italy

  • For the two Italian sites mentioned in the agenda (INFN Napoli, INFN Lecce), Paolo said that Lecce will be set to uncertified until site manager responds, and Napoli should be fixed today. Russian COD asked what to do about Lecce site ticket. Nick replied that GGUS:39533 can be closed & the other one can be closed when site emerges from downtime.

PPS Reports

  • none received

gLite Release News

  • gLite update 3.1 update 29 released to production with LFC and DPM patches.

  • The release of gLite3.1 Update30 to production is in preparation. The update, to be released next Thursday, will affect the vast majority of services. It will contain, notably:
    • Cream CE and clients
    • A patch to globus VDT , fixing the issue raised with BUG:37563 (limit in proxy delegation chain)
    • dCache 1.8.0-15p5
    • New torque clients for 64bit WNs
    • GFAL/lcg_util bugfix release

EGEE Items From ROC Reports

  • None seen this week & none raised during meeting.

WLCG Items

Well ahead of schedule at 16:12...
  • Free beer. This point inserted by minute-taker to see who bothers to read the minutes. Send me a mail to claim yours.

WLCG issues coming from ROC reports

  • None.

End points for FTM service at tier-1 sites

  • end-points of FTM service: no mails received from BNL or NDGF. There was no-one on the line from BNL, but Jens from NDGF stated that the service is currently being installed, and he will send Nick the end-point. RAL is also missing but they’re on holiday today.

FTS SL4 - required by the experiments or tier-1 sites?

The FTS situation is somewhat unclear. It's available on SL4, but buggy. Question on whether WLCG actually want to have FTS on SL4. Most said they were not keen to make changes due to stability concerns. Nick then asked those present what their position was:
  • FZK: happy to stay on SL3 (good hardware)
  • France: needs to check with FTS admin
  • INFN: difficult to update without service downtime (half a day)
  • NDGF: will probably be under pressure to upgrade this winter
  • PIC: stable for the moment
Th question that needs to be decided is when we will upgrade (during LHC downtime?)

FTS patches in production should not be considered as production – Antonio hopes to clear up the mess “somehow”. In the meantime, please don’t install SL4 FTS.

As an aside, Roberto wanted to know when Globus patch will be released – Antonio expected Thursday. The update to proxy mixup with WMS will be fast-tracked because EMT thinks it’s important. Roberto: WMS proxy is not VOMS-aware, which is a problem (one user using two roles doesn’t work).

Upcoming WLCG Service Interventions

  • Four from the larger sites mentioned (see agenda or CIC portal)
  • Some Atlas data will be unavailable during the NDGF downtime.

WLCG Service Coordination

Harry pointed out that the link in the agenda was wrong, but there was nothing notable to mention that isn't in the reports from the experiments.

ATLAS Service

Alessandro: Has Tier2 list of sites been added to GGUS team link? Torsten: no, this will be done only once the GOCDB interface is working (to avoid manual interventions). No timescale other than “pretty soon”. Alessandro: is it possible to have common shifter at point 1 who can submit team tickets? Torsten, who just got back to the office, had no update but pointed out that the Savannah shopping-list ticket is open.

ALICE Service

CMS Service

See the details on the agenda page, but the summary is:
  • continuing export activities to Tier 1s. Jamboree on Wednesday to wrap-up.
  • CMS on-line DB issues due to CMS internal communication glitch.
  • Castor problems & degraded PhEDEx service. More than 40K stager “gets” for non-existent files, working on a solution.
  • Tier 1s receiving data, but not at a high rate.

LHCb Service

See the details on the agenda page or the CIC weekly report filled by Roberto. Roberto had four points for the assembly:
  • Is it valid that downtime declared less than 24hrs in advance should be considered as scheduled? Nick/Harry replied that the length of downtime determined how far in advance it needs to be declared. * c.f. CNAF problems. Sites should have fabric monitoring – or how about SAM test (ATLAS have something)? He emphasised that loading shared libraries should not take several minutes. Action on Nick to remind sites that the shared area is a critical service.
  • GridView & SRM service needs to be fixed to include SRMv2 in availability calculations. GridView is using hard-coded & perhaps obsolete list of services. John replied that SAM's SRMv2 tests are in validation and will be shortly released. In due time, GridView will include the results in site availability calculations.
  • Alarm ticket for CNAF never arrived. The “why” needs to be clarified. Diana said that ROC Italy’s connection to GGUS was at fault. Diana will check the GGUS side of things. ROC Italy needs to check on its side, but their main-man is on vacation. Mail arrived, but corresponding ticket in GGUS wasn’t found. Nb. GGUS tickets can always be replied to (even by people not registered in GGUS) and this will provide an update to the ticket.

Antonio queried whether LHCb could test the glexec that’s in pre-production. Roberto will raise this in their task-force meeting tomorrow.

The recommended dCache version has now been updated (see list of base services on agenda page).

OSG Items

Rob Quick, live from CERN, stated that there were no open tickets for OSG. On the other side of the table, Maria was happy.

Action Items

Newly Created Action Items

Assigned to Due date Description State Closed Notify  
Main.OCC 2008-09-01 Remind sites that the shared area is a critical service.

Update 10/9/08: Nick sent an EGEE broadcast about this. In fact, he sent two, to explain that this only concerned sites supporting VOs that had explicitly mentioned the shared software area in their respective VO cards.

2008-09-12 edit

Review of Open Action Items

Open Action Items

IdSubmitterDescriptionCreationDueAssigned To 

Actions Closed in Last 20 Days

IdSubmitterDescriptionCreationDueAssigned ToClosed 

The meeting ended at 17:00.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be Monday, 1st September 2008 15:00 UTC (16:00 Swiss local time).

  • Attendees can join from 14:45 UTC (15:45 Swiss local time) onwards.
  • The meeting will start promptly at 15:00 UTC (16:00 Swiss local time).
  • The WLCG section will start at the fixed time of 15:30 UTC (16:30 Swiss local time).
  • To dial in to the conference:
    • Dial +41227676000
    • Enter access code 0157610


These minutes can only be changed by members of:

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r5 < r4 < r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r5 - 2008-09-12 - JohnShade
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    EGEE All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by Perl This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platformCopyright & by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Ask a support question or Send feedback