WLCG MW Readiness WG 8th meeting Minutes - January 21st 2015



  • Local: Alberto Aimar (CERN-IT/SDC deputy leader), Vincent Brillault (CERN Computer Security Group, Pakiti expert), David Cameron (ATLAS), Lionel Cons (Monitoring expert, developer), Maria Dimou (chair & notes), Maarten Litmaath (ALICE & notes), Andrea Manzi (MW Officer, DPM expert), Alberto Rodriguez Peon (T0), Andrea Sciaba` (CMS & WLCG Ops Coord).
  • Remote: Wahid Bhimji (Edinburgh), Jeremy Coles (GridPP), Alessandra Doria (Napoli), Raul Lopes (Brunel Univ.), Andrea Sartirana (GRIF).
  • Apologies: Cristina Aiftimiei (EGI Ops Mgr), Catherine Biscarat (IN2P3), Joel Closier (LHCb), Peter Solagna (EGI Ops Mgr),

Minutes of previous meeting

The minutes of the last (7th) meeting HERE were approved.


  • dCache 2.6 will reach its planned end of life in June, early in Run 2. In general, info dissemination on products being phased-out should be done at the WLCG Ops Coord meeting and not in the MW Readiness WG.
    • the MW Officer and EGI Operations should already urge sites to upgrade to 2.10 (the other golden release currently available).
    • the MW Readiness effort should rather go into that release as well.
  • The StoRM readiness verification is taken on board by the MW Officer and QMUL. The new contact person there is Daniel Traynor.
  • CMS is very slow in making the necessary changes allowing to test the CREAM CE made available at Legnaro for the Readiness verification effort. Reminders are sent weekly by Andrea S.
  • voms-proxy-init 3.0.6 is available. We hope it should be OK from the perspective of the LHC experiments.
    • Maarten had opened bugs against earlier 3.0.x versions and helped certifying the fixes
    • the new version is in EMI since mid Dec and already deployed on lxplus
    • the voms-clients3 package looks fairly mature now
    • validation of new versions remains desirable in principle, but efforts may be better spent on other products

  • The ARGUS service manager at CERN, Ben Jones, has agreed to set up a test server with a small testbed of client nodes. ARGUS developer, Andrea Ceccanti, will also be involved. Progress will be reflected in https://its.cern.ch/jira/browse/MWREADY-30 and at the February ARGUS workshop.

  • CREAM testing progress is with ATLAS and CMS, HTCondor with ATLAS

MW Officer report

Andrea M. presented these slides which list the products per experiment workflow and the sites where they are being verified.
  • All Volunteer Sites should (re-)install the latest, re-designed MW Package Reporter.
  • Check here our full list of candidate products.
  • Check here the whole Volunteer Sites list.

WLCG Package Reporter

Lionel presented these slides with status info on the MW Package reporter re-design. The new version was made available as agreed with the EGI security team and the pakiti experts within the deadlines. The instructions are very simple and up-to-date HERE. Maarten argued that it may be desirable to simplify the Pakiti configuration even further:
  • instead of a single configuration file per use case (security vs. MW Readiness) there may be a configuration directory
  • the static part of a configuration could come from an rpm
  • the site name can be a command-line argument in the cron job(s)
  • Lionel reminded that EPEL won't accept configuration rpms. Also, it is unclear why requiring twice as many rpms would be simpler. What we have now is a good and simple tool packaging for the Volunteer Sites to deploy.

Sites' feedback

  • Napoli: direct communication would be desirable, viz. explicit e-mails for explicit actions that sites are asked to do
    • e-mail seems to be preferred over interactions within JIRA

  • GridPP: To Jeremy's question whether we need more Volunteer Sites Maria D. answered that we wish more sites to install the MW Package Reporter. David said he would look for some sites validating new ARC-CE versions.


Action items Done from past meetings can be found HERE.

  • 20150121-07: Andrea M. and Maria D. to regularly remind sites to install the MW Package Reporter at the various WLCG Ops Coord meetings. NEW!
  • 20150121-06: David C. to look for some sites validating new ARC-CE versions. NEW!
  • 20150121-05: David C. to send more pilot jobs to Napoli in the framework of indirect HT-Condor testing. NEW!
  • 20150121-04: David C. to check which voms-client is used by ATLAS. NEW!
  • 20150121-03: Andreas, remind Pepe about the PIC commitment to test dCache for CMS. NEW!
  • 20150121-02: Andrea M. and Jeremy C. to remind all Volunteer Sites recorded and more, if possible from the UK to install the latest Package Reporter Instructions HERE.
  • 20150121-01: Andrea M. to contact Triumf, ATLAS volunteer site for dCache, announce the decision to skip v.2.6.x verification and open JIRA ticket to monitor. NEW!
  • 20141119-04: Andrea M. to discuss with Legnaro their current installation of the MW Package Reporter. Done but maybe update https://its.cern.ch/jira/browse/MWREADY-14 given that now everyone has to re-install?
  • 20141119-03: Andrea M. to contact the GRIF site to proceed with WN testing via the CMS workflow On-going
  • 10141119-02: ATLAS, CMS, LHCb to contact Andrea M. if interested in the Data Management Client (DMC) libs available on grid.cern.ch CVMFS area. Take to the WLCG Ops Coord meeting
  • 20140702-06: Andrea M. & Lionel Discuss the visualization of testing results. On-going

AOB & Next meeting

  • Wednesday March 18th at 4pm CET is the date of the next meeting!! Reason: February is a small month, it contains school holidays which affect some people and the March GDB is in Amsterdam, so some people might be absent early March...

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r28 < r27 < r26 < r25 < r24 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r28 - 2018-02-28 - MaartenLitmaath
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    LCG All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright & 2008-2022 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
or Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? use Discourse or Send feedback