PPS Pilot Follow-up Meeting Minutes Wed 08 Apr 2009

  • Date: Wed 08 Apr 2009
  • Agenda: 56204

PPS Pilot Follow-up Meeting Minutes Fri 20 Mar 2009

  • Date: Fri 20 Mar 2009
  • Agenda: 56204
  • Description: Pilot of glexec/SCAS: check-point
  • Chair: Antonio Retico


  • PPS: Antonio Retico
  • CERN: Gianni Pucciani (SA3)
  • CMS: -
  • Atlas: Jose Caballero, Maxim Potekhine
  • Alice: -
  • LHCb: Apologies
  • Nikhef: (Development) - Dennis Van Dok
  • IN2P3: Pierre Girard
  • FZK: Apologies

Review of action items (tasks)

SA1/SA3 tasks

Status of the subtasks of TASK:8986 (see them in the PPS tracker ) .

  • TASK:9333 (Installation at IN2P3) . Pierre: I had to stop one week for concurrent activities and I re-started this week. There was no re-locatable WN + glexec installation available which made everything more complicated although it was not a showstopper. I submitted a request for this package to be produced.
The real problem I had to face is that currently the configuration of glexec is not compliant with our deployment policies because in order to run it we need to alter the local WN installation by editing our ld.so.conf or however by doing operations which need root privileges. This is not what we usually do: we are able to run multiple versions of the WNs at the same time by pure user installations.
    • Question to NIKHEF. Is there an ETICS-free way of recompiling glexec in order to statically link libraries in paths relative to the local WN installation?
    • Dennis: even re-compiling you need root privileges at some point. and even recompiling glexec you would have the same issues in the glexec plugins of SCAS and LCMAPS. Then as glexec is a setuid-based program if you allow any users to recompile and linking to whatever libraries you are building a rootkit. So the re-compilation of glexec is not recommended
    • Pierre: However in general the installation of such a program in production will require the approval of the production managers
    • Antonio: will you be able to continue in this pilot?
    • Pierre: I will look for a compromise solution to workaround the problem for this time but in general this installation is not compatible with our standard procedure nor to the tools we use to manage the installation. Therefore a more appropriate solution needs to be found. I will open a bug for that
    • Antonio: please ask if you need support. In order to better convey your request to the integration team can you please let us have a summary of the findings and the issues of your installation?
    • Gianni: did you however manage to run glexec?
    • Pierre: I have submitted a test jdl based on an example provided by David and I don't retrieve the output yet beacuse of various meetings. I am confident though because i see that SCAS was contacted so if the job has failed maybe just for issues in the jdl
    • Pierre: I will be in vacation starting from today and for 10 days so the work at IN2P3 will be suspended. Before leaving I would try and run SCS in load balancing. This should be possible sharing the gridmapdir, righ?
    • Dennis: True but you cannot use afs to share. nfs or gpfs are OK
    • Gianni: info about that in man page of SCAS

other tasks


Status and results of the pilot service (by VOs and sites)


nothing to report for this period


A message was sent to the list before the meeting

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart Paterson 
Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:10 PM
To: Antonio Retico
Subject: Re: pilot of glexec/SCAS: check-point

Hi Antonio,

Apologies I won't be able to attend due to the GDB.  Just looking at the agenda below I wanted to convey the following points:
- Tests at IN2P3 are pending production deployment
- We have integrated the agreed return codes in DIRAC (some time ago)



Status and results of the development (by developers)

Not covered

Open Issues (by VOs, sites, deployment teams)

Antonio: waiting for Lyon to sort out their problems we need to find another site to enable as soon as possible LHCb and Atals to re-start testing. I received an expression of interest from IFIC. They are looking at SCAS right now and they would be interested in joining the pilot activity. I will contact them immediately after the meeting and see if we can come out with some commitments and a timeline. If they agree they should start as soon as possible without waiting for the next check point.

Decision about termination/extension of the pilot

Nothing was discussed although the end date of 30th of April seems a bit optimistic now. Probably an extension will be needed. To be discussed in the next check point


Next events

The next check-point meeting will be held on April the 24th at 16:00.

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r1 - 2009-04-08 - AntonioRetico
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    LCG All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright & 2008-2023 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
or Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? use Discourse or Send feedback