Agenda

  1. AOB
  2. Review of points from last meeting
  3. Python 2.6
  4. Virtualization for consolidation project
  5. Common Tools

Minutes

  • Attendees:
    • ALICE - Patricia Mendez
    • ATLAS - Serguey Baranov
    • CMS - Jorge Amando Molina-Perez
    • LHCb - Joel Closier, Roberto Santinelli
    • IT-PES-PS - Ricardo Silva (Secretary), Juan Manuel Guijarro, Ewan Roche
    • IT-CF - Wayne Salter
    • IT-ES - Flavia Donno, Jamie Shiers (Chair)

  1. AOB
    1. Security improvements
      During a informal meeting some questions were raised by CMS about the security improvements that were suggested to VOCs.
      • Using a separate account for administrative actions and limit access to lxadm raised objections from LHCb and CMS.
      • All VOs agree on blocking access from LXPLUS to LXVOADM, users should connect directly to LXVOADM.
    2. Service documentation for Security Team
      • Documentation required by the security team to be filled for each service will be sent to the VOCs.
      • ATLAS has already started to do it for the web redirectors (this can be used as an example by the other VOs).
  2. Review of points from last meeting
    • II
      • CMS will convert RPMs in the CMS repository to allow system installation (vs user space) to allow use of those RPMs by all VOs.
    • IV.a
      • IT-PES-PS is preparing a CDB support forum using sharepoint, a first draft will be available soon, after some issues are followed up.
        • Feedback will be requested as soon as possible.
        • Most of the requests to vobox.support are "how to" questions related to the use of Quattor tools. The forum will become an FAQ repository and will enable better sharing of information.
        • The long-term objective is to deprecate vobox.support.
        • Questions were raised by LHCb, and IT-ES regarding the IT policy of a single point of contact for support requests.
        • CMS raised the issue of the possibility of stale support requests in the Forum, suggested a timeout for unanswered support requests on the forum.
    • IV.b
      • Flavia raised the issue of the amount of man power needed to use Quattor and points out that proper tools are either not known or non existing. * LHCb pointed out that the VOCs are "blind" inside CDB, more information is needed regarding the template structure and individual component configuration. * All VOs agree there is a need for basic CDB training (overview of existing tools). * IT-CF has no available manpower to prepare comprehensive CDB training but can provide basic CDB training based on existing material and can prepare targeted training based on requirements from VOs.
    • IV.e/f
      • The delays in allocation of HW Requests are justified by several factors: the sysadmin team is currently understaffed and with a big backlog of tickets to handle; in addition some HW deliveries were late and many HW issues have surfaced. This should soon no longer be a problem since the backlog is being slowly cleared up.
      • The need for re-prioritization of ITCM tickets was raised by LHCb and ATLAS. A solution is under investigation.
  3. Python 2.6
    An rpm which allows for parallel installation of Python 2.6 on RHEL5/SLC5 is available in swrep.
  4. Virtualization for Consolidation status
    The project is providing the first VMs for internal IT use to gather feedback and experience.
    • The first VMs for VO use will be available by July for simple cases, end of the summer for general use.
  5. Common tools
    • Flavia Donno provided a patch for host-certificate-manager to support certificates with alternate names (needed by ATLAS)
    • IT-PES-PS is working on setting the proper ACLs so that all VOCs can request certificates and use SINDES. There are worries from Veronique L. regarding the granularity of SINDES ACLs. Once the ACLs are set VOCs will also be able to reinstall machines.
    • A project to enable automated certificate renewal is being started.

Actions

  1. IT-PES-PS to provide a clear list of security recommendations
  2. IT-PES-PS to provide instructions for actual implementation of some of the suggestions
  3. Flavia/Secteam (?) to distribute template to all VOs by 1st of July
  4. VOCs to complete filling for all services by 1st September (status to be reviewed at each meeting)
  5. IT-PES-PS to provide a link to CDB Change Tracker
  6. VOCs to provide a prioritized list of specific training needs
  7. IT-CF to provide basic CDB training (adapted from existing material)
  8. IT-PES-PS to provide instructions for use of Python 2.6
  9. IT(?) to provide status on other software package requests
  10. VOCs to provide a initial list of candidates for migration to VMs
  11. IT(?) to provide documentation and training on the use of these tools (certificate manager and reinstallation)

The next meeting should be scheduled in ~1 month (early July), the following meeting in September.

Action List

-- RicardoSilva - 14-Jul-2010

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r3 - 2010-10-21 - RicardoSilva
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    LCG All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright & 2008-2021 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
or Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? use Discourse or Send feedback