LHCb Core Software Meeting

Date and Location

October 24, 2007
10:30 - 12:30
CERN (2-R-030)


Hubert, Joel, Marco Ca., Marco Cl. (minutes), Markus, Patrick (EVO)





(Marco Ca.)
  • New department structure in IT (effective from January 1st, 2008)
    • Ian Bird will become the new LCG Project Leader, replacing Les Robertson who will retire during 2008. Ian will join the Department Head’s Office (DHO).
    • A new group called Data Management will be created to look after Physics Databases and associated developments, Castor development, Grid Data management tools such as FTS, DPM and LFC, etc. The group will be led by Alberto Pace.
    • A new group, yet to be named, offering experiment support and services will be led by Jamie Shiers. This will include the LCG Service Coordination activities of GD group and the Experiment Integration and Distributed Analysis activities of PSS group.
    • The grid deployment part of the GD group will have a new group leader (name to be confirmed), running Grid operations (the CERN Regional Operations Centre) and hosting the EGEE SA1 (Grid operations management & support) and SA3 (Middleware integration testing and certification) activities.
    • The CERN Grid services currently operated by GD will move to FIO (Fabric Infrastructure and Operations).
    • Christian Isnard will take over as the group leader of IS (Internet Services).
    • The PSS (Physics Services Support) group will no longer exist. Jürgen Knobloch will continue his role as IT representative in the LHCC and SPSC and has taken over the leadership of CERN’s participation in the European Grid Initiative Design Study (EGI-DS) project.
  • Hyper News meeting in the afternoon.
  • SharedPoint will be used for the archival of mailing lists.

Software Releases

Gaudi (Hubert, Marco Cl.)

  • Changed the way libraries get installed, to create relative links (using install.py).
  • Removed the files "install.history" from the tarballs.
  • Bug in GaudiExamples: EvtColsExt works only if the library GaudiExamples is preloaded with ApplicationMgr.DLLs. It is a problem with the dictionaries, to be investigated.
  • Prepared an infrastructure to allow automatic (or semi-automatic) testing using QMTests. Examples and instructions available in release notes and some packages.

Marco Cl.: We need to agree on how multiple inclusions are treated in python job options, do we reparse them or include them only the first time? Old options will always be included only once. We agreed to have the same behavior for python job option files.
Markus: gaudirun.py have to take into account the special needs of OnLine.

Markus: It seems that the PluginSvc is loading too many libraries (e.g. GaudiPython in OnLinde applications). To be investigated.

Marco Ca.: Nightlies for MacOS not working (not built).

Marco Ca.: there are a lot of interfaces in GaudiKernel that are obsolete, we need a review.

LHCb, Boole, Brunel (Marco Ca.)

  • LHCb builds on MacOS, but we need changes in CMT.(c)sh. Marco Cl. prepared a patch to CMT.sh, and will port the changes to CMT.csh.
  • Starting to break Brunel with backward incompatible changes.
  • Problem with analysis jobs getting stuck on the GRID. It seems to be caused by problems in user algorithms (memory leak, segfault, etc.), that triggers the stack trace from SEAL which than gets stuck.

Marco Cl.: Matt asked for a map-like property in Conditions. Marco Cl. will modify XML DTD and parser to add it.

HLT (Patrick)

  • Tagged a new version with minor bug-fixes
  • New features to be added later (v2r0)
    • adapt to new Tracking Framework
    • review how ProtoParticles are used/made

Marco Ca.: Since new developments of DaVinci will be based on new T.F., we may have to wait for HLT adaptation for a new version of DaVinci.
Patrick: In that case we can have versions of DaVinci without (not depending on) HLT.

OnLine (Markus)

  • Modified MDF to make use an XML file catalog with the same format of POOL's one, but not depending on POOL. The XML file catalog implementation will be included in Gaudi(Utils).

Round Table

Is Brunel ready for the bb-bar stripping? Joel said that the stripping will be started during the day. Patrick thought that we were waiting for a new DaVinci for the end of the week. We will not be able to start the stripping before 2 weeks because Joel will be away, while the reprocessing can be started.
It seems that we experienced some lack of communication between the OPG and the Software team.
  • Progress to make install_project.py able to download the files from GRID Storage Elements. (Encountered few problems to set correctly the proxy certificate)
    Marco Ca.: We need some mechanism to archive the versions when they are in GRID S.E.
  • Added a pattern to LCG_Settings to export man pages.
  • Workflow for L0 ready.
  • Will wait for the new DaVinci to start the stripping.
  • Will explain to Gianluca Castellani how to set-up a production.
  • Reprocessing not yet tested.
    Markus: Any news about the bug in the stripping? (the one causing crashes during finalization in 1/4 of the jobs) No news: let's wait for the new stripping and cross the fingers.

-- MarcoClemencic - 31 Oct 2007

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r4 < r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r4 - 2007-10-31 - MarcoClemencic
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    LHCb All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright &© 2008-2021 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
or Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? use Discourse or Send feedback