LHCb Core Software Meeting

Date and Location

19 Nov 2008
10:30 - 11:50
CERN (2-R-030)

Attendees

Gloria, Marco Ca., Marco Cl. (minutes), Patrick (EVO), Thomas

Subjects

News

  • Applications Area Meeting. Main topics: report form ACAT, plans for LCG 56
  • LCG nightly builds now on SLC5 too
  • Karol has been appointed for a CERN fellowship

Software Releases

Gaudi (Marco Cl.)

  • Gaudi v20r3 released on Friday (announced yesterday on savannah)
  • CVS repository migrated to SVN
    • The configuration of the permissions seems quite simple and powerful. Still to check if it is possible to group directories, to allow commit privileges to group of users on group of directories.
    • Reported (to svn.support) problems with pre-commit script ignored (impossible do forbid commits to tags). Now fixed.
    • Reported instabilities of the anonymous access (seems due to the DNS load balancing). Not fixed yet (suggested to use ssh).

LHCb, Boole, Brunel (Marco Ca.)

  • All packages tagged, but did not manage to get a complete consistent build so far.
    • Win32 build on the terminal server is extremely slow.
  • LHCb should be ready today, Rec and Lbcom tomorrow. Brunel and Boole will come next week.
  • Problems adapting to new ConfigurableUser policies/features.
    Marco Cl. will prepare a technical tutorial on how to write ConfigurableUser for the [[http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=44134]LHCb Software Week]]. Some coordination will be needed with Chris and Juan to avoid overlaps and contradictions.

CondDB (Marco Cl.)

  • Preparing the next version
    • Fixed in Rich1 and Rich2 alignments.
    • New ParticleProperties.txt: official from Patrick, susy from Neal.
  • Requested a new savannah project to collect the changes for the database.

Gauss (Gloria)

  • Gauss builds in the nightlies with the latest LHCb.
  • Quite some new things to test (in the generators).
    • The changes in the generators need some changes in ParticleProperty.txt and DecFiles. (Marco Ca. removed the ParticleProperty*.txt files from PARAM)
  • Want to add the packing feature to this release.
  • Problems with the alignments of Velo r and phi sensors (Thomas) understood and a work around is available. For the fix we should wait for the new implementation of the conversion from our detector description to Geant4. The problem is related to the presence of an assembly logical volume, which is not mapped to a Geant4 entity and the alignment information is lost along the path.
    For the production, it is better not to release the work-around (configuration only), but proceed with the chain to test it.
  • Vanya presented a proposal for a new ParticlePropertySvc during the latest Gauss meeting (summarized in the minutes).
    Some investigation of the impact of the removal of ParticlePropertySvc from Gaudi is needed (GaudiAlg, GaudiPython). The new implementation in LHCb should be easy to migrate to Gaudi.

HLT/DaVinci (Patrick)

  • A lot of changes happening in HLT and DaVinci. It will require some time after the release of LHCb to get them released.

Round Table

Marco Cl.
Propose to get rid of the slot dev2 in the LCG nightlies. Was meant to provide a pre-release of Gaudi because we didn't have a nightly build system, but now it is not used, and we should build the pre-release in our nightlies when needed. dev will be HEAD version of Gaudi, dev1 Gaudi v20-patches (GAUDI_patches).
Marco Ca.
Olivier added a new package: EventPacker. It will contain all the data packing algorithms. The nightly build broke because of a bug in the requirements and because the MC packers have been moved to the new pacakge.

-- MarcoClemencic - 19 Nov 2008

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2008-11-19 - MarcoClemencic
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    LHCb All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright & 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback