LHCb Core Software Meeting

Date and Location

2014-12-10
10:30 - 11:30
CERN (2-R-030)

Attendees

Ben Couturier, Gerhard Raven (Vidyo) Illya Shapoval, Joel Closier, Liang Sun, Marco Cattaneo, Marco Clemencic (minutes), Sebastien Binet (Vidyo), Sofia Qiriazi

Subjects

News

  • Gaudi v25r6 and v25r6p1 tagged and ready for the release
  • Successful round at the Tech Student committee
  • Ready to release LHCbDirac and Dirac with the nightlies
  • No Core Software Meeting next week

Round Table

Marco Cl.

  • Nightly Builds
    • working on the new configuration/build system
    • today's builds on Gaudi HEAD failed because of a mistake in a patch. Fixed and restarted

Ben

  • LCGCMT 71 and 71root6 tarballs ready
    • pyanalysis still broken
    • need to check that there are no hardcoded '/afs/' in the libraries
  • Improved the LbScripts RPMs (bootstrap of the local installation)
  • Testing improvements on lbpkr
  • Sasha Mazurov volunteered to help on LHCbPR (with some nice ideas)
  • Lots of discussion on CVMFS at the PIT: it seems that performances and service level at Stratum-0 are not good enough.
    • Marco Ca.: Jakob is willing to help

We discussed a bit about how the software is distributed in Online: the checkpoint uses bittorrent, but it still needs the libraries to be available (just in case). Marco Cl. suggested that using local installations with RPM might be better than CVMFS. In any case, we need to investigate what can be done.

Marco Ca.

  • HEP Software Foundation at SLAC
    • Pere asked for a contribution by LHCb. We should have a reduced meeting to discuss what to report.
  • Time to update the work packages document

Joel

  • We will need to retire 4 physical machines, but we postponed to end of January.
    • we need to replace them with VMs
  • There will be a Puppet module for distcc servers.
    • Marco Cl. thinks that the current set up is good enough, so we do not need to change it

Illya: issue with reboot of Ariadne. Joel didn't have time to investigate yet.

Liang

  • Committed some changes in CondDBUI, to work-around issue with PyCool and ROOT 6 (preventing automatic updates of ONLINE snapshot)
  • SIMCOND tag to be deployed

Marco Ca.: We need regular checks of the heartbeats. Marco Cl. suggests to use a dedicated Jenkins job (to be published to the sensors page, etc.)

Marco Ca.: There are worries that the publishing of calibration from Online to Offline is not in place yet.

Sebastien

  • Updates to lbpkr
    • new features and fixed regressions
    • still to implement the special mode to deploy RPMs to AFS

Discussion on release schedule

Hlt people need a release of the stack with the problem with the memory leak in PyROOT fixed, which should be with the release of ROOT next week.

After some discussion, it was agreed that

  • Hlt commissioning can use the stack we are going to build tomorrow
  • bandwidth division tasks can use a locally installed nightly builds (Marco Cl. will provide instructions) as soon as the bug in ROOT is fixed (to be confirmed by Roel)
  • the release plan for January, discussed at the last PAC, is still valid

We will cross check the plan on Friday at the PAC with Roel.


-- MarcoClemencic - 2014-12-10

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r1 - 2014-12-10 - MarcoClemencic
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    LHCb All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright & 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback