ATLAS Edinburgh Meetings in 2015

Summary of 25–SEP-15 meeting

News:

Attendance at future events:

  • ATLAS UK HLT meeting, 3-4 Nov (RAL): Ben S, Ben W, Christos (PLEASE REGISTER)
  • Technical Interchange Meeting, 9-12 Nov (Berkeley): Ben W
  • TDAQ week, 30 Nov-04 Dec (Embra): Ben W, Yanyan, Victoria, Christos (PLEASE REGISTER)

Other news:

  • Ben S has accepted a new job at Annecy! Congrats Ben!
  • Happy birthday Yanyan!

Online operations (Yanyan)

  • Busy with online shifts
  • Had discussion at CERN with Joerg & Anna on dynamic pre-scaling scheme. Latest mood is not to implement this year. A less ambitious plan it to have software calculate rates and notify trigger to push new set of (pre-calculated) triggers. Install by February?

Future framework (Ben W)

  • Busy with event views; Level-1 reader algorithm to be creating views (corresponding to RoIs)
  • Next on to-do list: algorithms scheduler (currently: static) and sequence concept.

MaM Cool DB (Ben S)

  • Version 1.2 in the pipeline. Gave presentations & tutorials at CERN
  • Need to discuss deployment & commissioning plan over next month with Joerg/Martin.

Displaced vertex tracking and triggers (Christos)

  • Trying to get tracking CP conveners to agree on authorship task

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 23 October (11:00 AM UK) **NOTE UNUSUAL TIME**

Summary of 28–AUG-15 meeting

Online operations (Yanyan)

Busy with online shifts

MaM Cool DB (Ben S)

First version of Menu-Aware-monitorng interface to COOL DB released to the masses; TrigHLTMonitoring-00-07-02 to be included in next T0 release

Future framework (Ben W)

  • Have been working with event views, in the context of “roadmap for demonstrator” (to be delivered by end of year)
  • Will be attending November TIM meeting at Berkeley (https://indico.cern.ch/event/395887/)

Displaced vertex tracking and triggers (Christos)

Have been discussing with Physics coordination about R&D trigger studies coupled with GPU proof-of-principle prototype. This is currently organised under Tracker CP umbrella, and can be followed through: https://its.cern.ch/jira/browse/ATLASRECTS-2220

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 11 September (10:30 AM UK)

Summary of 31–JUL-15 meeting

Rulebook and online operations (Yanyan)

Mostly busy with on-call shifts

Dynamic-prescaling: not much happening till end of the year(?)

Future framework (Ben W)

Have been working with “trigger elements” (event-views equivalent on storegate) and trying to make them work in athena; Effort to reduce # of views by keeping ~same trigger elements but by introducing “versioning”

Next steps:

  • minimal set of working test by end of September
  • full mini-HLT demonstrator (read L1 info, create 2-3 event views, run real trigger algorithms) by end of year

Interface of menu-aware monitoring (MaM) with DB (Ben S)

  • v0 version is (almost) ready: have oracle DB running at CERN; uploaded default T0 monitoring configuration
  • Last(?) remaining problem: how to deal with old configurations (made by Tatsiana, obsolete by now): talk to Joerg for a safe solution

GPU HLT demonstrator (Andy)

Have started working on this, profiling to follow

T0 monitoring (Christos)

Mostly quiet period; small monitoring updates by some slice groups

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 13 August (10:30 AM UK)

Summary of 03–JUL-15 virtual meeting

Rulebook and online operations (Yanyan)

Mainly working on rulebook bug fixes/improvements, as a menu expert, and online operations. Will be at CERN this coming week for online on-call shifts and menu work.

Future framework (Ben W)

Working on EventViews. Big framework design/development workshop next week, will present latest progress on Athena integration.

Interface of menu-aware monitoring (MaM) with DB (Ben S)

At CERN this week, meeting with trigger, trigger-DB experts and monitoring customers. Good progress on the MaM has been made: working on suggestions to underlying code made by Joerg. Prepared proposal covering extra features for MaM version 2.

T0 monitoring (Christos)

Updating monitoring categories for muon and egamma as requested by DQ and trigger groups.

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 31 June (10:30 AM UK)

Summary of 05–JUN-15 meeting

Attending:

Ben W, Ben S, Andy, Christos

Minute scribe: Christos

Future framework (Ben W)

Have been busy discussing Views prototypes at various meetings in the last 2 weeks

Interface of menu-aware monitoring with DB (Ben S)

Working on implementation/storing of diffs’ of monitoring configurations wrt default one (to be taken from release); Have been discussing technical details with Alex Martyniuk (trigger monitoring DB expert)

Expect to have first prototype released to T0 monitoring experts for testing in a week

T0 monitoring (Christos)

Updating tests and recipes to incorporate new 13 TeV data as input

Summary of 22–MAY-15 meeting

Attending:

Ben W, Ben S, Tim, Yanyan, Christos

Minute scribe: Christos

Future framework (Ben W)

Has been working on Views prototypes; gave status report at TDAQ week, see: https://indico.cern.ch/event/328404/session/14/contribution/49/material/slides/0.pdf

Will be focusing on multi-threaded work.

Interface of menu-aware monitoring with DB (Ben S)

Aiming to have 1st prototype ready in time for Trigger Offline Monitoring meeting (29 May).

Menu-expert (Yanyan)

Has been taking trigger online on-call shifts; busy with operations

Triggering on displaced vertices and GPU (Ben W)

Has prepared trigger menu running on cosmic data as input for Tim’s tests

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 5 June (10:30 AM UK)

Summary of 08–MAY-15 meeting

Attending: Ben W, Ben S, Tim, Andy, Yanyan, Christos

Minute scribe: Christos

Future framework (Ben)

  • See talk from Thursday’s ATLAS UK HLT meeting:
https://indico.cern.ch/event/358238/contribution/2/material/slides/0.pdf

Interface of menu-aware monitoring with DB (Ben S)

  • See talk from Thursday’s ATLAS UK HLT meeting:
https://indico.cern.ch/event/358238/contribution/5/material/slides/0.pdf

Future framework (Andy)

  • Busy with CHEP/other conferences & proceedings writing
  • FSTF: plans for HLT profiling

Menu-expert (Yanyan)

  • Taking menu-expert training course

Triggering on displaced vertices and GPU (Tim)

  • No progress recently
  • Next steps:
    • Find signal MC sample with displaced vertexes
    • Confirm that “vanilla” tracking algorithm can reconstruct signal tracks by augmenting beamspot uncertainty
    • Use FastTrackFinder to find all tracks originating from PV; then run displaced-track finder using GPUs with “orphan” tracker hits

Offline Trigger (and Menu-aware) monitoring (Christos)

  • Migration of python configuration for Menu-aware monitoring successfully completed; Provides central monitoring functionality for slice groups & DQ

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 22 May (10:30 AM UK)

Summary of 24–APR-15 meeting

Attending: Ben W, Ben S, Tim, Victoria, Christos

Minute scribe: Christos

Future framework (Ben)

  • EventViews (aka: trigger elements) prototype is in place (“looks quite nice”) .
  • Still working on comments for draft note (https://cds.cern.ch/record/1974156)
  • Hope to use semi-realistic trigger menu (in discussions with Francesca Pastore) to show performance numbers with athena at June workshop at CERN

Triggering on displaced vertices and GPU (Ben W, Tim)

  • Have implemented python-based event display to visualise signatures & debug displaced tracking (Tim)
  • Next steps:
    • Find MC sample with displaced vertexes
    • Confirm that “vanilla” tracking algorithm can reconstruct signal tracks by augmenting beamspot uncertainty
    • Use FastTrackFinder to find all tracks originating from PV; then run displaced-track finder using GPUs with “orphan” tracker hits

Interface of menu-aware monitoring with DB (Ben S)

  • New activity by Ben: interface menu-aware monitoring with DB; expect to work in collaboration with Yanyan (rulebook) and Christos (offline trigger monitoring)
  • Working on python scripts for managing monitoring configurations (use the one from release as baseline configuration, and manage changes wrt default one)
  • Next steps: release prototype to slice experts

Offline Trigger (and Menu-aware) monitoring (Christos)

  • Working on redesign of python class to provide central monitoring functionality for slice groups & DQ (with help from Tim);

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 8 May (10:30 AM UK) (TBC)

Summary of 20–MAR-15 meeting

Attending: Ben W, Ben S, Tim, Christos

Minute scribe: Christos

Software performance (Ben & Andy)

  • Stewart (Martin-Haugh) has requested some help from us on profiling and interpretation of Cuda output; (Ben promised that) minimal time is devoted on this

Future framework (Ben)

  • Work continues on the EventViews (aka: trigger elements) prototype. Current focus is on static polymorphism of code (aka: templates)
  • Also working on comments for draft note (https://cds.cern.ch/record/1974156); Comments still welcome

Triggering on displaced vertices and GPU (Ben S, Tim)

  • Discussion on simple tracking algorithm demonstrating proof-of-principle
  • Goals for next meeting:
    • Implement python-based event display to visualise signatures (Tim)
    • Investigate potential tracking options from Run-1 and/or the market (Ben S)

Offline Trigger (and Menu-aware) monitoring (Christos)

  • Redesign of python class to provide central monitoring functionality for slice groups & DQ (with help from Tim); Proposal sent to Data Quality group

Next scheduled meeting: TENTATIVELY on Friday 24 April (10:30 AM UK) (TBC)

Summary of 06–MAR-15 meeting

Attending: Ben W, Yanyan, Andy, Tim, Christos

Minute scribe: Christos

Future framework (Ben)

  • Work continues on the EventViews prototype. We have some more test cases, and an example that satisfies all tests thus far.

Andy

  • GPU work for CHEP using Nvidia Kepler and (Release Candidate) Cuda 7; project is on decision forests & machine learning; Relevant for trigger algorithms on GPUs?
  • FSTF: Performance measurements for low-power CPUs with Glasgow
  • Some help offered to Stewart on profiling jobs

Rulebook (Yanyan)

  • Monitoring triggers implemented separately in cosmic menu
  • Validation of pre-scale calculations
  • Discussions for involvement with jet trigger performance group (relevant for VV exotic search)

Offline Trigger (and Menu-aware) monitoring (Christos)

  • Discussions with Data Quality group on access to trigger monitoring categories
  • Redesign of python class to provide central monitoring functionality for slice groups & DQ (with help from Tim)

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 20 March (10:30 AM UK)

Summary of 20–FEB-15 meeting

Attending: Ben W, Yanyan, Andy, Christos Apologies: Tim

Minute scribe: Christos

Future framework (Ben)

  • Discussions with Tomasz (Bold), John (Baines) on how to go about HLT framework prototype; Opinions on how to get started vary between “from storegate and athena” (Ben John) and “from scratch” (Tomasz). Will probably try both approaches

Andy

  • Started new role as co-convener of the ATLAS Future Software and Technology Forum. Looking for people to join effort; Run-2 preparations understandably a major distraction smile

Trigger menu & dynamic prescales (Yanyan)

  • Working on rulebook script for the Run-2 data-taking. In particular:
    • Commissioning of current script (introducing new trigger tools and CTP) at M8
    • Development of tools for prescale calculation for MC15 in preparation for physics

Offline Trigger (and Menu-aware) monitoring (Christos)

  • Migration of trigger chains from source code to python configuration files complete
  • Next steps include interface with DB, and preparation for adaption of functionality by DQ groups
  • Also helping with online monitoring (why?)

GPU algorithm proof-of-principle for displaced vertices (Ben, Andy, Tim)

  • No progress recently

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 6 March (10:30 AM UK)

Summary of 06–FEB-15 meeting

Attending: Ben W, Yanyan, Christos

Apologies: Andy, Tim

Minute scribe: Christos

Future framework (Ben)

  • A draft of requirements report available for comments: https://cds.cern.ch/record/1974156?
  • Ben & Tomasz Bold to look at providing trigger “demonstrators” in new software framework

Trigger menu & dynamic prescales (Yanyan)

  • Taking trigger online on-call shifts for M8
  • Work on rule-book script continues

Menu-aware monitoring (Christos)

  • Preparations for M8

GPU algorithm proof-of-principle for displaced vertices (Ben & Tim)

  • No progress recently

Next scheduled meeting: Friday 20 February (10:30 AM UK)

-- ChristosLeonidopoulos - 2016-01-15

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r1 - 2016-01-15 - ChristosLeonidopoulos
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    Main All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright &© 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback