User Support News 22 Jan 2007

The items from which I expect feed-back are marked in red and the item which I propose as action items in the JOC meeting are marked in bold red .

Tutorials

Next tutorial

Lucia, John, Matthias, can you fit the tutorial session to the CMS week agenda and book the room? It should be one of the blg 40 auditoriums, for 2 - 3 hours.

The suggested agenda is

  • which data is available and how to find it, Peter can do this
  • selected items on analysis Luca, Chris, your comments?, Benedikt can do this
  • online selection, Christos and Sridhara will find a speaker
  • how to use EPProducer
    • there have been several questions on this recently, and as suggested by Benedikt, it would be useful to have a tutorial on it

Tutorial speaker pool

A positive response, ten replies, information appears semi-automatically (i.e. with a limited amount of copy-pasting) in https://uimon.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/Main/CMSUserSupportTutorialPool

Conveners, please encourage your group member to register http://cmsdoc.cern.ch/cms/cpt/UserSupport/tutorial_speakers.html and register yourselves. I will create a mailing list for the tutorial speakers in order to communicate the tutorial items.

Documentation

Reminder:
  • WorkBook: to get started and up to first analysis
  • Reference Manual: brief description of content and purpose of each package
  • User Manual and Developers Guide:
    • description of algorithms
    • usage and "how-to" documents which are too detailed for the WorkBook
    • gathers information currently spread in numerous wiki pages to a single structure.

User Manual -> CMS Offline Guide

I have recieved very useful suggestions from Luca and we had exchange of ideas through e-mail. He suggested having pages to the reconstructed object from the top level, for better hierarchical organization of the information. My proposition is
  • to call the actual "User Manual and Developers Guide" (under construction) "CMS Offline Guide"
  • to have a new structure as suggested by Luca and shown in https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/CMS/UserManual
  • to have the all pages in this document to start with SWGuide
  • to have a two-part page for any physics objects
    • first part for official, structured Offline Guide information, as suggested by Luca, and completed by me
      • Contacts (name of people in charge of software)
      • Introduction and tutorials (-> link to workbook)
      • Data Formats definition (-> link to doxygen reference)
      • RECO/AOD collections (-> link to ref. manual)
      • Description of different algorithms
      • Analysis and validation
      • HLT
    • second part, in free format for whatever the group conveners would like to have (meetings, usefuls links...)
    • an example will appear as soon as I've got feedback from Ian and Thomas (I'm using the b-tagging page as an example)
Lucia, John, I need your decision on
  1. the proposed structure, have a look and let me know your modifications
  2. naming: The name: "The CMS Offline Guide", twiki page SWGuide, and all pages in the guide SWGuide*
  3. organization of twiki pages: can I require that all physics object groups (connected to CMSSW) accept to modify their pages in a way suggested above, i.e. BTag would become SWGuideBTagging etc.
(action items for JOC?)

Reference manual

Tommaso has included new important pages on default sequences and config files to the ref manual.

I need feedback from the software development team on the possible release for which each package should have an adequate documentation (a proposed L2 milestone), I propose 1_4_0 (end of March). This item should brought as an action item for JOC meeting .

Getting help

User support contacts in T1 (T2) centres

Users' GRID problems are usually quickly solved through hn fora or through ggus interface, and they do not usually reach me. In case of pending problems, I would need to know the User support contacts from different centres. The situation will get more difficult (for the user support) when more (and less expereinced) people start using GRID.

Savannah for user problems

Savannah is still not used very much, but I encourage its use when appropriate. For the moment, the notification of a question goes to me and to the convenor of the group concerned by the category of the question submitted. I have removed the notifications to the hn discussion lists. If I can I answer, if not, I assign. In this case, however, I will need more names as if the single contact is not available it takes too long for a question to be replied. I will come to this later on.

Helpdesk

more news later

-- CMSUserSupport - 22 Jan 2007

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r3 < r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r3 - 2007-01-24 - CMSUserSupport
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    Main All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright & 2008-2019 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback