IPPOG Expanding Masterclasses Working Group

Tiny URL for this page: http://tinyurl.com/emwg-tw

First Videoconference, 15 July 2014

Notes from Steve Goldfarb:

High School Teachers

Present: Ken Cecire, Uta Billow, Pedro Abreu, Konrad Jende, Abha Eli, Despina Hatzifotiadou, Michael Kobel, Steven Goldfarb,

Sahal Yacoob, Kate Shaw

Konrad has 54 teachers from 33 countries at CERN. Lectures in particle physics, computing, etc. Going on visits, meeting in working groups.

Learned about Masterclasses (potential problems, resolutions).

  • internet access
  • facilities
Can / should we get phoenix boxes?

African School

No spot on agenda for IPPOG Masterclasses at the moment. Michael Kobel found that there is an Outreach Day on Saturday, 16 August. Sahal, Uta, Ken will follow up with Ketevi and John Ellis.


  • Expanding Masterclass WG
  • Bringing Particle Physics Masterclasses to the World
Organizational Structure

Ken convenes and we all try to reach consensus.

Frequency of Meeting?

Next September. Earlier if needed.

Steve’s Random Thoughts

The Masterclass Kits:

  • With or Without Network
  • With or Without Visiting Physicist
  • With or Without Laptop?
Potential Tasks
  • Identification of Strategic Partners (John Ellis, Rudiger Voss, etc.)
  • Design / Development of Geographical Strategy
  • Design / Development of Masterclass Kits
  • What about European Project Proposal?

Ken's additional notes

To-do list

  • Masterclass at African School of Physics - Sahal, backed up by Uta and Ken
  • Masterclass Starter Kit - Ken, backed up by QuarkNet teachers
  • Seek opportunities for funding
  • Create a report for IPPOG
  • Plan sessions at IPPOG meetings
  • Seek opportunities for new masterclasses
  • Compile annotated list of current masterclass outreach (e.g. Pedro in East Timor, Abha in Nepal, etc)
  • Work on adaptations of masterclasses for different situations (e.g. low bandwidth, no electricity, etc)
Next planned meeting
  • September (date not yet decided, please watch for doodle poll)Â

Masterclass Starter Kit

Current location of start page: https://quarknet.i2u2.org/content/project-home.

Expected Rollout of first draft at IPPOG meeting, Nov 2014.

Notes on Videocon 15.10.2014

Comments on Starter Kit

  • Pedro: give a larger interval for planning facility use at university
  • Ken will get ICHEP proceedings article from Faid (see below)*
  • data in LHC Open Data Portal
  • Farid made a great guide to ATLAS masterclass in ICHEP proceeding - can help with Starter Kit as a template*
Engagement with CERN
  • Steve had a good conversation with Rudiger Voss, HP followed up with another
  • Rudiger will visit IPPOG, involved in connecting CERN to new member and associate applicants; recently went to Mongolia
  • CERN lecturers for Computers in Physics going to Bangladesh
  • Can we get on CERN "call list" when they make new agreements?
  • CERN also has associations with countries in education
Australia (Steve's report)
  • Marcus Nordberg of New South Wales (NSW) Education Dept is working on masterclass adoption in curriculum
  • NSW "Excel" students will pilot a masterclass
  • Make part of NSW curriculum in 1-2 years
  • Also involved: Caroline Hamilton (leads Australian IMC) Andrew Parker, Jay QuinceÂÂ
  • November pilot with ~21 students...9 am - 3 pm, start with ATLAS Virtual Visit, teachers lead, videocon at end
  • We had a lot of discussion of a permanent connect via chat, Vidyo, et al so students can ask questions of physicists - physicist connection makes it a masterclass
EU Project S'Cool Physics (Pedro)
  • 6 topics, incl Particle Physics
South Asia Initiative (Abha, Kate)
  • videocon with Uta and Ken 17.09, participants from India (in UK), Pakistan --> enthusiasm for masterclasses
  • Rajveet from India has gotten a company to sponsor students in Punjab masterclass; CMS physicist will travel there
  • Pakistan masterclass at same time - Virtual Visit, Particle Fever,...
  • December masterclasses
Engaging new masterclass leaders
  • Despina has made contacts in new countries but not much repsonse yet - but this is a good model
  • Pedro suggests MC videocon moderation from KEK for time zone, Japan engagement; Ken will attempt contacts; Steve suggests Katsuo Tokushuku, now on Collaboration board
  • For general "big bang" event and southern hemisphere engagement: World Masterclass Day somewhere in Sep-Nov...springtime for half the world
  • At least one group for each of 24 time zones? Can we?
  • Pedro in contact with Timor, Cabo Verde for masterclasses; maybe East Timor engages with Australia?
IPPOG meeting
  • See about Rudiger Voss above
  • Steve will discuss with Han Peter about a slot at meeting to discuss crossover IPPOG/CERN/Masterclass issues
  • Connect with EPPCN as well - perhaps HP can discuss with James Gillies

Notes in Preparation for IPPOG Meeting, April 2015

Members of Masterclasses to New Countries Working Group are invited to edit and add material.

Form of Meeting and Attendance

There will be a working session on Friday 17th April, 13:00-15:00. It is one of (currently) four working groups meeting in parallel. You need to sign up at the IPPOG meeting to be part of a working group meeting, even if you are already on the mailing list for that group. Working groups give 15 minute reports 16:00-17:00. See the IPPOG meeting Indico page.

Agenda items

  • Masterclass Starter Kit
  • Report on identification of countries of interest to CERN
  • CERN-HST and our working group
  • African School of Physics and other opportunities
  • Support
  • Progress and regress in Masterclasses 2015
  • Opportunities
  • Plan of action and responsibilities
  • Create report

Notes from meeting

mc2nc_apr2015_notes.pdf: Notes on WG meeting at IPPOG, 17 April 2015

Notes from Videoconference 16th June 2015



  • Maputo, Mozambique - found mentor, there are students and teachers interested
  • Cabo Verde - interest at the University
  • East Timor - interest
all three have bandwidth issues: we may need to modify combination of results and videocon (use chat? Indico has jabber chat; also Vidyo chat)Good idea: make a 2 page road map/brochure to masterclasses - Uta and Ken can do this - try to have ready before Sri Lankan visit to CERN (by end of summer?)Visit KEK for IMC?


  • no new online CMS masterclasses until we streamline
  • contact American International School kn Riyadh about editing their instructional video
  • need video editing help from one of our institutions


  • Will visit Japan in Sept:
  • Workshop for International Schools at American School in Japan, 26-27 Sept (see about webcast)
  • Visit with IBO in Geneva; maybe 2,3, or 4 November, just before IPPOG (5-7 Nov); maybe bring them to CERN for videocon, look around? Ken will contact; Barbora will help.


  • Will leave CERN this summer
  • HST teachers are good to spread masterclasses


  • working with Agnes Chavez (artist from New Mexico) on possible connection to Cuba
  • also low bandwidth
  • MC-in-box may be a solution

Next meeting in early Sept; Ken will send a Doodle poll.

Notes from MC2NC WG meeting at IPPOG, 20th May 2016



  • ICTP Project Physics Without Frontiers: masterclasses for undergraduates in Lebanon (most recent), Palestine, Nepal, India, Pakistan, recently Venezuela and Colombia, more
  • PWF working group made up of post-docs, PhD students
  • interest in having masterclasses associated with ICFA Instrumentation school; contact Ariela Katai (sp?)
Andrej Natasha
  • Albania still needs a Univ connection, 2 HS teachers are interested
  • Connect to new countries mostly by contacting people who may have interest - sometimes they are interested, other times not
  • Interested in Belle II, will talk with HP
  • Welcome as a new member!
  • Perhaps can help with East Timor and possible ATLAS in NZ

African School of Physics

We had a breakthrough discussion of how to handle the joint graduate student and high school teacher masterclass time. Our proposal is to have the grad students do ATLAS and the teachers do CMS in parallel and in separate rooms, coming together at the end to present reports to each other. Ken will check with Ketevi on this.


Other notes

  • Discussion of World Wide Data Day (W2D2) was postponed for time.
  • The group should have a Vidyo meeting in June or July. Please look for an e-mail with a doodle poll.

Notes from MC2NC WG videoconference, 23rd June 2017


Kate Shaw, Krzysztof Wozniak, Michael Kobel, Natascha Hoermann, Steve Goldfarb, Uta Bilow, Ken Cecire


Steve Goldfarb:

  • just finished IPPOG Collaboration Board meeting, approved 5K (CHF? Euro?) budget for IMC to spend in 2017; request needed for 2018
  • Steve had a Virtual Visit with 20 schools in New South Wales; masterclasses in curriculum proceeding
  • Will do a workshop including masterclass in IdeaSquare for MBA students from ESAD Barcelona --> "competing" teams for ATLAS and CMS
Uta Bilow:
  • contacted by President of Physical of Qatar --> bring Qatar into IMC
Michael Kobel:
  • visit to TU Dresden by Palestinian physicist - possible connection for IMC
Kate Shaw:
  • physicist Ahmed Basilat (?) can run a masterclass for HS at An-Najah National University (?) *
  • more below
Ken Cecire:
  • HS student got a masterclass going in Addis Ababa at Dire Dawa University in May; Learn more here.
  • Will go to Mexico, probably August, bring masterclasses to more students.
Physics Without Frontiers (outreach by Kate and colleagues)

Physics Without Frontiers runs masterclasses for university students and is expanding into other (non-HEP) fields of physics. They offer one-day masterclasses as well as courses.

  • Joint Project involved Colombia, Venezuela, Peru*Possible new or continued outreach to Palestine, Tunisia, Sri Lanka, Senegal, Rwanda
  • Did work in Lebanon, which is now joining CMS --> very good opportunity, Kate will follow up, cc Uta and Ken
  • General strategy for expandintg masterclasses - make contact after PWF has been to a country/university and start a conversation about joining IMC
  • Much to discuss and plan - we should think about what we want, audience, etc.
Additional notes from mebers who could not attend

Despina Hatzifothiadou:

My piece of news is that we (ALICE) have made contact with our colleagues from Malta and we are discussing doing a trial session of masterclasses in the autiumn, with the aim to include them in the international masterclasses 2018.

Pedro Abreu:

We are...changing installations (finally to the place where we had our meeting) and preparing to receive high-school students
starting Monday our regular summer internships.
Marzena Lapka:
I have contacted people from Lithuania and Bulgaria and need to deliver them one page flyer that I sent to you and Uta so they can make an awareness campaign in their countries - on my list for next week - I want to do it before the end of June, with a reminder mid-August (when the school year starts)
Topic attachments
I Attachment History Action Size Date Who Comment
PDFpdf HST2014WorkingGroup.pdf r1 manage 329.2 K 2014-07-15 - 20:09 KennethCecire  
PDFpdf PAbreu30oct14.pdf r1 manage 165.1 K 2014-10-15 - 09:20 KennethCecire  
PDFpdf mc2nc_apr2015_notes.pdf r1 manage 301.9 K 2015-05-07 - 17:01 KennethCecire Notes on WG meeting at IPPOG, 17 April 2015
Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r10 < r9 < r8 < r7 < r6 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r10 - 2017-06-24 - KennethCecire
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    Main All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright &© 2008-2023 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
or Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? use Discourse or Send feedback