CERN Addresses

The Swiss address of CERN is:
CH-1211 Genève 23

The French address of CERN is:
Organisation Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire
F-01631 CERN Cedex

Shipping import/export office 1, 2
If you transport something yourself out of CERN, this is the place where you have to come to pick up the proforma invoices (after the EDH procedure is finished).
Location: 73/1-013
Phone: 74586
Fax: 78540
Opening hours: 8:00-12:00, 13:30-17:00

Shipping to/from CERN
CERN has two main sites, therefore two goods receptions and postal addresses: one in Switzerland (Meyrin) and one in France (Prevessin), see above. This makes shipping to/from CERN somewhat complicated, because the customs and VAT formalities (or the lack thereof) depend on where the shipment goes to or where it's coming from. All the procedures are described on the Logistics Service website (middle column). But the rule of thumb is that if it goes to/from the EU, it should go from/to France i.e. Prevessin, otherwise from/to Meyrin. For example shipment from Genova should be sent to the French address, and shipment to Genova should leave from Prevessin. It's not a problem that the AD is in Meyrin: if you state in the outgoing shipping request that the stuff should go from Prevessin and you require internal transport, then the CERN transport services will bring the stuff from the AD to the Prevessin goods receptions through the tunnel.
Of course you have to use EDH to create a shipping request (expedition).

Bringing equipment to CERN
The procedure to bring (as opposed to ship) equipment to CERN is somewhat more complicated.
- By car
If equipment is scheduled to come by car to CERN, one should contact in advance (2/3 days beforehand) the border office in Ferney and send them the proforma invoice, duration of the equipment's stay at CERN as well as the scheduled date/time of arrival at the border. They will thus prepare all necessary documents and provide them stamped at the time of border crossing. With this document one can go directly to the Meyrin site.

The contact of the agent at the Ferney border is:
+33 450 40 55 39
Contact Alain Lavergnat :

Going directly to Prevessin, register the equipment there and bring it to Meyrin via the tunnel is apparently not the correct way to do for equipments going to the AD. The tunnel is for very temporary shipment from Prevessin and Meyrin (it should be used for e.g. for machining/transformation of equipments at the Meyrin site which should return to Prevessin).

- By train or by plane
Here, things get even more complicated. The general rule would be not to transport any equipment this way.
In case of necessity, here are the rules:
One has to go to the equivalent of the "Chambre du Commerce (CCI)" in the country of origin at least 48h before the departure with the description of the equipment (proforma invoice).
The CCI will make a so-called "carnet ATA". This carnet has to accompany the equipment at all times. It HAS TO be stamped each time the equipment crosses the border. For e.g. upon arrival at Geneva airport one has to go to the customs in order to get the carnet stamped, same thing upon return.
Note: This is only valid for equipment which will not be transformed. The equipment has to return to the country of origin within 1 year.

Tunnel permit
Opening hours of the Tunnel: Mo-Fr: 7:00-19:00
There is a short tunnel which leads from the Meyrin site of CERN directly to France. In principle this tunnel can only be used to transport equpiment (either with a CERN car or a private car) between Meyrin and Prevessin. The driver (and your passengers) need a special premission to use it. To get this permit:
Go to EDH
Choose "Access request" from the list of tasks
Click on "+Add" under "Required Access Line Item"
Select "T: Tunnel Transit authorization" form the list of "Access Zone"
Under "Justification", write down why you want the tunnel authorisiation, e.g. "To transport scientific equipment between Meyrin and Prevessin for the AEGIS experiment without entering Switzerland".
Send the EDH document
If you want to transport some equipment in your private car, in principle you have to fill out some paper. You can ask the Goods Reception in Prevessin for this paper. To transport it in a CERN car, you don't need this.

-- ChloeMalbrunot - 2016-02-04

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r1 - 2016-02-04 - ChloeMalbrunot
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    Main All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright &© 2008-2021 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
or Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? use Discourse or Send feedback