Minutes of the Linac4 Diagnostics Working Group Meeting held on 3 December 2007

Present: C.Dutriat, K.Hanke, T.Lefevre, A.Lokhovitskiy, M.Pasini, U.Raich, L.Soby.

Agenda:

1. Communications

2. Follow-up of open actions

3. AOB

1. Communications

The colleagues from BT will be invited to the next meeting to discuss the integration of diagnostics in the Booster injection period.

M.Hori will give a presentation on the Beam Shape & Halo Monitor on 13 December at 09:30 in 354-1-001.

2. Follow-up of open actions

Action for C.Vuitton and Y.Cuvet to produce working drawings for the inter-tank/inter-module regions of DTL and CCDTL. Y.Cuvet has progressed with the drawings. He has got all the input for the diagnostics, but there is no final magnet design. T.Zickler cannot work on a final magnet design before the beginning of 2008. Therefore, Y.Cuvet has drafted something with the information that he has so far. He will send a first draft of the drawings to K.Hanke this week.

M.Pasini noted that all magnets are now being designed to be water-cooled for operation at SPL duty cycle. The question was raised whether this has an impact on the design of the pick-ups. L.Soby said that no special temperature stabilisation is needed for the pick-ups.

Action for U.Raich to develop a controls strategy for the diagnostics. The development of the CERN card is progressing well. Some first cards are available and it is expected to test them before the end of this year. As from January they will be available. U.Raich noted that for the 3 MeV test place two VME crates are foreseen (paid by BI and delivered by CO). For these ethernet connection is required. U.Raich will follow this up with J.Serrano and C.Rossi.

Assigned to Start date Description State Result
U.Raich 2007-12-03 Follow up VME crates for 3MeV test place with J.Serrano and C.Rossi reported 17 December 2007 edit

Action for U.Raich to start with a design of a movable diagnostics bench ("D-plate"). K.Hanke explained that the emittance meter, which is presently under construction for 45keV, should be modified for energies of 3 and 12MeV and should become part of a movable diagnostics bench. Further components of this device should be pick-ups (time-of-flight) and/or spectrometer, transformer and Feschenko monitor. Originally 2 Feschenko monitors had been foreseen (because of 2 different frequencies), but now it becomes more likely that one device can be used at all stages. K.Hanke said that the design of the movable bench should start rapidly, and one should be prepared to do measurements already at 3MeV and not only when DTL tank 1 is installed.

The question was raised whether the SEM grid from the LEBT can be re-used for the D-plate; to be confirmed.

The question was raised when the Feschenko monitor needs to be available. Originally it was assumed that it should be available for the commissioning of DTL tank 1. If it is planned to use it already for 3 MeV, this becomes urgent.

Action for G.Tranquille to do simulations for the emittance meter at 3MeV and 12MeV in order to make a choice for the slit material and slit cooling. G.Tranquille not present, it is assumed that studies are ongoing.

3. AOB

K.Hanke has forwarded the list of application programs to J.Serrano. AB/CO request the deadlines associated with the different application programs.

  • slow wire scanners: application needed.
  • SEM grids: generic application exists
  • transformers: put on OASIS; this is considered OK for the test stand, but in view of Linac4 an application would be preferred. An application and FESA class exists for Linac2 and 3; it should be possible to use this.
  • BSHM: stand-alone application exists
  • pick-ups: application needed, in particular for phase and intensity.
  • emittance meter: applicatoin needed. This has the hights priority as the emittance meter must be operational by summer 2008.
  • Faraday cups: OASIS
  • BLMs: to be clarified.
  • LBE/LBS lines: application is needed by the time we inject beam into the PSB (~2013).
  • A Linac4 Vistar will be needed.

The updated information will be sent to J.Serrano.

Next meeting 17 December, time and place to be confirmed.

-- KlausHanke - 03 Dec 2007

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r7 < r6 < r5 < r4 < r3 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r7 - 2008-06-30 - FrankGerigk
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    SPL All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright