BI-Linac4 meeting of Friday 24th November 2006 Minutes by M. Pasini and K. Hanke

Present: M. Pasini, K. Hanke, U. Raich, L. Soby, F. Lenardon, J.J. Gras, M. Ludwig

Agenda: 1. Follow-up of the previous meeting. 2. General communications. [K. Hanke] 3. Cost estimate revision [all] ***

1. K. Hanke reported, that a revised planning for the LEBT diagnostics has been put together with the help of R. Scrivens and C. Bal. The planning has been forwarded to C. Rossi, who keeps the overall planning for the 3 MeV part of the Linac. The time lines are: transformer 1 (LEBT): ready 31/12/2007

transformer 2 (entry RFQ): ready 29/02/2007 (this is the spare of the two transformers for the chopper line – so for these two transformers we must update the planning to 29/02/2007 as well!)

SEM grid: ready 31/12/2007

Faraday Cup: ready 02/07/2007

emittance scanner: decision if re-build or refurbish 01/01/2007 a) if refurbish: ready 01/10/2007 b) if re-build: ready 31/12/2007

2. K. Hanke reported that as a result of beam dynamics studies done by A. Lombardi in order to reduce beam loss, additional pick-ups are required in the SCL part of the linac. So far, 4 pick-ups had been foreseen (after every module). Now additional pick-ups have been requested by the beam dynamics team, which will be installed in the modules. The total number of pick-ups in the SCL is now 8. L. Soby said, that the additional pick-ups will be of the same type as the other pick-ups in Linac 4 in order to have only one family of pick-ups. The precision of the beam position measurement is estimated to 0.1 mm.

A discussion followed on whether the pick-up can be integrated into a steerer in order to gain longitudinal space. If the steerer is not pulsed or pulsing with a long time constant, this should be OK. The steerer current is of the order of 20A. L. Soby will look into this issue. At the same time, the beam dynamics team will try to lengthen the space available between the modules. action: L. Soby.

3. The cost and manpower estimate is close to completion.

J.J. Gras reported that for every system 3 months of work must be allocated for the software part. There will be no resources available in 2007.

All VME crates must be taken into account for the cost estimate.

The contribution for the BLMs is incomplete. K. Hanke will follow this up with B. Dehning. action: K. Hanke.

It is unclear whether the phase pick-up required by M. Paoluzzi in the chopper line should be part of this list. M. Pasini will find this out. action: M. Pasini.

M. Ludwig asked, whether some kind of watchdog will be required for Linac 4. This will certainly be required. Such a system is based on the transformer readings. In a first stage, the diagnostics should be defined as the mission of this working group.

The items to be added to the list are: - phase pick-up for the chopper line t.b.c. [M. Pasini] - 4 more pick-ups in the SCL part - 18 SEM grids for the transfer line (based on South-Hall scenario) - VME crates for all equipment - chopper line wire profile monitors: VME crate, non-zero cost for material and construction. [U. Raich] - emittance meters revise [U. Raich] - measurement lines: need a study and an estimate [U. Raich] - Feschenko monitors: need an estimate. U. Raich will contact Feschenko or M. Plum [U. Raich]

The table shall be completed by the time of the next meeting.

A.o.B.: Next meeting Thursday December 14th at 10:00 in 37 R-020.

-- KlausHanke - 13 Sep 2007

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2008-06-30 - FrankGerigk
 
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    SPL All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright