BI-Linac4 meeting of Friday 26th January 2007 Minutes by K.Hanke

Present: M. Pasini, K. Hanke, U. Raich, G.Tranquille Agenda: 1. general communications. [K. Hanke] 2. linac4 layout [M.Pasini] 3. budget and manpower [U.Raich] 4. follow-up of the 3MeV test stand diagnostics [all]


1. From the last minutes: - action for G.Tranquille to refine the planning for the LEBT diagnostics (include design and manufacturing phase). Not completed. action: G.Tranquille.

- action for F.Lenardon to place the orders for the 100mm diameter transformer for the LEBT. U.Raich reported that the ceramics has been ordered. U.Raich will follow-up the progress of this activity.

- action for U.Raich to provide a cost and manpower estimate for a Feschenko monitor. U.Raich has contacted Feschenko and is waiting for a definitive answer. action: U.Raich.

K. Hanke reported that R. Scrivens has informed him that the small diameter transformer at the entry plane of the RFQ (the spare of the chopper line transformers) cannot be put in place because of space constraints. The third chopper line transformer will therefore remain a spare. Here are the communications from R.Scrivens concerning the LEBT diagnostics:

o the smaller transformer in front of the RFQ is not feasible with the present type of design. The space is already taken by the RFQ flange and a steerer. o Benoit Riffaud has finished the design of the main diagnostics tank. He rechecked with each equipment person if they agreed to the volume foreseen. o the Faraday cup design has been discussed by Benoit and Cathelijne in principle, and the design should be made by Benoit in February. o Benoit has made a concept of the main LEBT transformer adding the bellows and flanges (Franco said the body would be a 400mm diameter cylinder, 150mm long). This was needed to fix the length of the support. o no other diagnostics design is foreseen presently.

R.Scrivens has provided a first lay-out of the LEBT:

K.Hanke asked U.Raich to give a status report for the SEM grid and emittance device needed for the LEBT. U.Raich will contact the experts. action: U.Raich.

U.Raich suggested to apply for a Marie Curie fellow to help with the design work.

2. M.Pasini showed a general lay-out of Linac4. For the moment, all the diagnostic devices, steering-dipoles and quadrupoles have been added between the modules with the dimensions provided by the equipment groups. This requires significant space between the modules, which is not compatible with the beam dynamics. Work is presently being done by the beam dynamics team to create slightly more space, but under no circumstances it will be sufficient to house all the components foreseen with the present dimensions. Optimization work is therefore needed to design components as compact as possible and to superimpose components wherever possible. For the beam instrumentation the following actions are required: 1) provide a compact design for the profile monitors (C.Bal, E.Bravin). K.Hanke said, that even if no refined design can be done lacking manpower, the flange-to-flange distance should be known such that the monitors can be put as “black boxes” in the lay-out. 2) can the pick-ups be integrated into magnets? (L.Soby). As all experts concerned were not present, U.Raich agreed to follow this up. action: U.Raich.

3. The cost and manpower estimate is finished and the final version has been submitted to M.Vretenar.

4. K.Hanke stressed, that with finalizing the Linac4 cost and manpower estimate the work must not come to an end. Even if presently resources are not yet available to do serious design and manufacturing work, as a “minimum program” the diagnostics needed for the 3MeV part (source, LEBT, chopper line) must be completed. Work on the transformers is progressing well. As for the BSHM, the upgrade of the detector is under way and a letter of intent for a beam test in Orsay has been submitted.

It was agreed that in a separate table the diagnostics needed for the 3 MeV front-end and the associated money and manpower needs will be summarized. This will be an “extract” from the global cost estimate, indicating what is immediately needed. action: K.Hanke, U.Raich

A.o.B.: Next meeting in one month from now, place and time to be confirmed.

-- KlausHanke - 13 Sep 2007

Edit | Attach | Watch | Print version | History: r2 < r1 | Backlinks | Raw View | WYSIWYG | More topic actions
Topic revision: r2 - 2008-06-30 - FrankGerigk
    • Cern Search Icon Cern Search
    • TWiki Search Icon TWiki Search
    • Google Search Icon Google Search

    SPL All webs login

This site is powered by the TWiki collaboration platform Powered by PerlCopyright