LCG Management Board
Tuesday 15 November 2005 at 17:00
(Version 1 - 16.11.2005)
A.Aimar (notes), D.Barberis, L.Bauerdick, L.Betev, I.Bird, F.Hernandez, N.Brook, T.Cass, Ph.Charpentier, Di Quing, I.Fisk, J.Gordon, B.Gibbard, M.Lamanna, H.Marten, P.Mato, M.Mazzucato, A.Van Rijn, G.Merino, J.Shiers, L.Robertson (chair)
Tuesday 22 November 2005 at 1600
Minutes and matters arising (previous minutes)
The minutes of the previous week were only distributed in
Actions (list of actions)
The plans should be sent to the
Not done yet.
Not done yet.
Done (after the MB meeting).
RAL done. IN2P3 not done yet because will be discussed in the next few weeks.
The MB discussed in more detail the preparation of the workshop during this meeting.
If no feedback comes next week, the High Level Milestones will be distributed for formal approval at next MB meeting.
Action: L.Robertson and A.Aimar will prepare the High Level Milestones for formal approval by the MB.
Reports from meetings
The minutes of the AF meeting of 2 weeks ago were
distributed to the MB.
A server with HyperNews, from SLAC, will be installed by SPI and available to a restricted number of users. It is a pilot project in order provide a general bulletin board system to the experiments (that requested it at the AF).
Conclusions and follow-up from GDB
A mail was distributed by K.Bos, MB and GDB members should send feedback.
Action: MB sends feedback on the GDB summary.
[ . . . ]
-1- On the *GDB
itself* in Phase II: the GDB discusses the
problems and finds the solutions. The MB endorses the decision or resolves
issues that are not decided at the GDB. Officially the GDB is a national
representation but experts are always invited without previous notification.
Meeting in April in
-2- *VO Boxes
were discussed again* as no clear decision
could be reached at the
-3- The October *Database
Workshop was summarized* by Dirk Duellmann
and a work plan presented. The plan contains very specific recommendations
for hardware and software to be used for the service. There was no strong
disagreement expressed with the plan so the 3D project will proceed as
planned. Dirk will contact sites individually.
-4- Patricia presented the *new
Gent4 VO* and asked the sites to support
this VO. Generally agreed as valuable work for all LHC collaborations.
Patricia was asked to follow the standard procedures for a new VO.
-5- Dave Kelsey presented *3 new documents for acceptance*: the Acceptable Use Policy Document, the Incident Response Document and the ??. The documents had been distributed well before the meeting and no comments were received. If no further comments are received within the next 10 days the Policy Documents are agreed and accepted by all sites and MB endorsement will be asked.
Contributed by H.Marten:
- Grid acceptable use policy (V3.1, https://edms.cern.ch/document/428036 ready for approval)
- VO Security policy (V1.7, https://edms.cern.ch/document/573348 ready for approval)
- Incident Handling and Response Guide (V2.1, https://edms.cern.ch/document/428035 ready for approval)
-6- Roger Jones presented the results from the HEPIX/GDB *task
force on storage*: studies of the computing models with detailed read and
write rates and suggested hard- and software implementations. Archiving has
not been addressed in full yet. Intermediate report this month. Next report
at the HEPIX/GDB combined storage workshop in
-7- Nick Brook presented *what
the experiments achieved* until today in
sc3. General impression: software is stable but infrastructure is not. Lack
of communication between sites and experiments on what is going on.
-8- Piotr gives an overview of
all tests that are done on the *functioning on sites*. All services
are published now and more information is added. Wish expressed to have a
better understanding on how many cpu's are available for a VO.
-9- Alberto Aimar shows a *compilation* of the information given by the Tiet-1 sites
of their plans for 2006. All data has been copied into a common template to
ease the comparison. The template also contains the expected capacity and
data throughput values. Some sites plan less than expected. All sites are
requested to review their own data in the new template and correct or update
-10- Jamie presents *overall
plans* for next year. In January repeat
disk to disk throughput tests of SC3. Start in April and achieve nominal
throughput values in July. According to what planning the Tier-1s have made
available this cannot always be achieved. Criticism that there is too much
focus on Tier0 data to tape at Tier1.
-11- The services at CERN are planned to continue over
Christmas. LHCb wants to continue also, Alice and Atlas maybe and CMS no. KB
will ask the sites for their services over Christmas.
[ . . . ]
So immediate actions from this meeting
- start a vobox task force with 1 person per expt and 1 techn. per T1.
- find someone to lead is and have a first 2-dy meeting in
- ask the experiments again to fill out the VOBox security
questionnaire as well as the operations one
- last chance to react to the security policy documents
- ask Tier-1 to check their planning in the new format
- initiate discussion between experiments and one or two
Tier-1 sites to discuss detailed flow diagrams to better understand what
needs to be done
- ask Tier-1 sites if they plan to run over Christmas
[ . . . ]
------- END EMAIL ------
Proposed workshop at NIKHEF to define VO Box requirements
C.Loomis will lead it and take responsibility that a formal statement of the requirements is clearly documented.
J.Templon will organize the meeting in NIKHEF.
is considered a better time in order to have enough experience on the current
grid services. Should not be later than that
because some requests may be needed for SC4, and therefore have to be
implemented or modified before.
Due to the difficulty to have 2 consecutive days suitable for all 4 experiments, it was decided to have 2 x 1-day meetings. At each meeting there should be at least 4 Tier-1 sites studying the requirements of 2 experiments. Experiments that can participate to both days should do it: as that will help to identify and clarify commonalities.
The MB decided to propose 19 Dec 2005 (LHCB + ATLAS or ALICE depending on availability) and 10 January 2006 (pre-GDB).
Update: The dates are not suitable. The meeting(s) will have to be on the second half of January.
Getting up to speed on the Tier-1 data and work flows
Action: By end 2005, the experiments provide a “Tier-1 accessible” description of their models, data and workflow.
Summary of the Pending Actions
The full Action List, current and past items, is available (see wiki page)