LCG Management Board

Date/Time

Tuesday  11 May 2010 16:00-18:00 – F2F Meeting   

Agenda

http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=81989

Members

http://lcern.ch/LCG/mb.htm

 

(Version 1 – 12.05.2010)

Participants

Jon Bakken, Ian Bird (chair), Daniele Bonacorsi, Maurice Bouwhuis, David Britton, Philippe Charpentier, Frédérique Chollet, Luca Dell’Agnello, Dirk Duellmann, Qin Gang, Maria Girone, John Gordon,  Denise Heagerty (notes), Andreas Heiss, Fabio Hernandez, Holger Marten, Helge Meinhard, Gonzalo Merino, Harry Renshall, Markus Schulz, Yves Schutz, Jim Shank, Jamie Shiers, Oxana Smirnova, Reda Tafirout, Jeff Templon, Romain Wartel

 

Invited

Dave Kelsey, David Collados, James Casey 

Action List

https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/MbActionList

Mailing List Archive

https://groups.cern.ch/group/worldwide-lcg-management-board/default.aspx

Next Meeting

Tuesday 25 May 2010 16:00-17:00 – Phone Meeting

1           Minutes and Matters arising (Minutes)

 

1.1         Minutes from the last meeting

The minutes of the last meeting were approved. Ian Bird confirmed that the workshop (jamboree) on the evolution of storage and data management will take place in Amsterdam.

 

2          Action List Review (List of actions)

 

The action list has no open items.

 

3          Approval of JSPG revised security policies

 

 

Dave Kelsey described the changes to the revised security policies. They have been simplified and generalised to better cover other infrastructures. Details of the changes are included on the agenda page. The MB approved the following revised security policies:

 

 

4           LCG Operations Weekly Report 

 

 

Summary of status and progress of the LCG Operations. This report covers the WLCG activities since the last MB meeting. All daily meeting summaries are available here: https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/WLCGOperationsMeetings. The slides shown at this meeting are linked from the agenda page.

 

Ian Bird remarked that there had been a spike in OPN traffic on 4 and 11 May (afternoon) which could be related to ATLAS. Jim Shank will investigate if this can be understood.

 

 

5          Evaluation results of Nagios Availability Reports 

 

 

David Collados presented an evaluation of the April Nagios availability reports for the OPS VO tests. His slides are attached from the agenda page. In summary, the Nagios infrastructure is ready to replace the SAM OPS submissions.

 

The MB agreed that, from May 2010 onwards, the official OPS availability reports will be generated from Nagios. The OPS tests based on SAM will continue in parallel until a recipe (and a script if necessary) is provided for sites downloading the SAM results for their local use. No date was agreed for turning off the SAM OPS tests but Ian Bird stated that this needed to be done as soon as possible.

 

Concerning the VO tests, these are also being moved to Nagios. For ALICE the work has already been completed. The current planning is LHCb: by end of June, ATLAS and MS: by end of July.

 

 

6          Summary of RRB and LHCC meetings 

 

 

Ian Bird summarized the RRB and LHCC meetings. His slides are attached from the agenda page together with a message from Chris Hawkes giving feedback on the LCG presentation to the LHCC. He asked the MB members to pass on to their sites, and to all those involved, the message of congratulations for the state of readiness of the WLCG infrastructure.

 

 

7          Milestones arising from Scrutiny Group report 

 

 

Ian Bird presented a slide attached to the agenda covering the milestones arising from the RRB and RSG report. Storage accounting and automated Tier2 installed capacities needs to be fulfilled by end of summer. John Gordon explained a proposal to put the data in a database and produce the reports offline. He was asked to write down the milestones needed to track progress on this.

 

Concerning the request for information on “hot” data sets on disk, this will be discussed at a MB after the Collaboration Workshop in July.

 

The Scrutiny Group need to report in September on the usage of WLCG resources during the previous 6 month period. This information is also needed for the autumn RRB. Ian Bird will invite Domenec Espriu to the next MB meeting to join a discussion on this topic.

 

Ian Bird confirmed that planning can start based on the numbers in the Experiment requests.

 

 

1          AOB

 

 

1.1         Workshop (jamboree) on the evolution of storage and data management

The draft agenda for the workshop on the evolution of storage and data management (16-18 June, Amsterdam) is attached the agenda page for this meeting. A limited number of people can be pre-registered but their names need to be provided before general registration is opened on 18 May. The link to information for the workshop is http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=92416.

1.2         Change of Tier1 representative for France, CC-IN2P3

From 1 July 2010, Mrs Frédérique Chollet will replace Fabio Hernandez as the Tier 1 representative for France, CC-IN2P3.

1.3         Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on Tuesday 25 May 2010 (phone meeting).

 

 

2      Summary of New Actions

 

There were no new actions.