LCG Management Board

Date/Time

Tuesday 29 June 2010 16:00 - 17:00 - Phone Meeting  

Agenda

http://indico.cern.ch/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=92521

Members

http://cern.ch/LCG/mb.htm

 

(Version 1 - 05.07.2010)

Participants

Jon Bakken, Ian Bird (chair), Maurice Bouwhuis, Tony Cass, Luca Dell’Agnello, Michael Ernst, Ian Fisk, Qin Gang, Maria Girone, John Gordon, Denise Heagerty (notes), Fabio Hernandez, Massimo Lamanna, Maarten Litmaath, Pere Mato, Helge Meinhard, Gonzalo Merino, Alberto Pace, Harry Renshall, Markus Schulz, Yves Schutz, Jamie Shiers, Reda Tafirout

 

Invited

James Casey 

Action List

https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/MbActionList

Mailing List Archive

https://groups.cern.ch/group/worldwide-lcg-management-board/default.aspx

Next Meeting

Tuesday 13 July 2010 16:00 - 17:00 - Phone Meeting

1.    Minutes and Matters arising (Minutes)

 

The minutes of the last meeting were approved.

 

2.    Action List Review (List of actions)

 

John Gordon agreed to provide dates for the storage accounting milestones as soon as possible.

 

3.    LCG Operations Weekly Report

 

 

Summary of status and progress of the LCG Operations. This report covers the WLCG activities since the last MB meeting. All daily meetings summaries are always available here: https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/WLCGOperationsMeetings.

 

Jamie Shiers presented the slides attached to the agenda page, starting at slide 9. He noted that there are still some problems with end-end notification in the alarm mechanism. Also, some SIRs and other medium to long-term problems never seem to get fully debugged. Although it is planned to review the SIR repository (and drill down on a multi-site/multi-provider case) at the Collaboration Workshop, this will not cover all the issues. Following some discussion, Ian Bird proposed that the following issues are addressed at the WLCG Collaboration Workshop:

  • Fixing problems in the alarm chain (more detailed statistics need to be provided at the workshop on alarm failures).
  • Services with no clear responsibility (e.g. the information system)

In addition, Ian Bird will follow up with EGI operations management on:

  • Improving GGUS ticket triage
  • EGI operations representation at some WLCG service meetings

 

 

4.    GDB Summary

 

 

John Gordon presented the slides attached to the agenda page. Some comments were noted:

Slide 10: FTS 2.2.4 is now deployed at all sites

Slide 15: WLCG does not require 32 bit hardware support and can therefore drop gLite 3.1.

 

 

5.    Review of the SAM -> Nagios transition

 

James Casey presented the slides attached to the agenda page. No major problems had been reported with Nagios however there had been some confusion with the procedures, e.g. resulting in NDGF data not appearing in Gridmap. John Gordon agreed to follow up on points made at the last GDB related to the Nagios transition.

 

The MB agreed that the SAM OPS tests will be turned off during working hours on 30 June 2010. The SAM team will provide information to clarify that although the tests are now launched by Nagios they continue to be called SAM (Service Availability Monitoring). The next step is to move the VO tests to Nagios.

 

 

6.    Report on the evolution of storage and data management workshop

 

 

Due to lack of time there was no discussion of this topic. Summary slides are linked from the agenda page.

 

 

7.    Report on the multi-core and virtualisation workshop

 

 

Due to lack of time there was no discussion of this topic. A summary report and summary slides are linked from the agenda page.

 

 

1.    WLCG Collaboration Workshop planning

 

 

Jamie Shiers reported that around 130 people have registered for the workshop. Session managers have been allocated and the speakers know that half their slot time is for discussion.

 

 

2.    AOB

 

 

2.1     LCG-LHCC referees meeting, 6 July 2010

The 4 LHC Experiments are asked to give reports at the LCG-LHCC referees meeting. Requirements for 2013 will not be needed this time but will for the following referees meeting.

2.2     Input for 2010Q2 quarterly report

By 13 July 2010 a (maximum) 1-page written summary of the last quarter is needed for each of the LHC Experiments, WLCG Services, Grid Deployment Board and the Applications Area. These will be collated into the 2010 Quarterly Report.

2.3     Next meeting: 13 July 2010

The next meeting, on Tuesday 13 July 2010, will be a phone meeting (instead of a F2F meeting as the July GDB meeting has been cancelled).

 

 

3.    Summary of New Actions

 

 

There were no new actions.